- Do I need to make a reservation to visit the aquarium even if I am a member?
Yes, advanced reservations are required for all guests, including members. Walk-up sales are not available.
- How do I make a reservation?
Follow the steps below:
- Visit aquarium.ucsd.edu and click Tickets.
- Click Member Admissions. Here you can select tickets covered by your membership.
- Pick your member tickets, then click Add Selected to Cart.
- In the pop-up window, enter your member number and last name for verification.
- Select the calendar date of your intended visit, then select an available time and click Continue.
- To RSVP for Guest Passes or for children ages 2 and under, click Back to Shopping and add these tickets from the Member Admissions: Extras section.
- After adding the necessary tickets to your cart, click Checkout.
- Tickets will be emailed upon completing your order. No need to print; tickets are mobile-friendly!
- How do I cancel/reschedule a reservation?
If you need to cancel your reservation, please email email@example.com with your order number and name. To reschedule, include the date and time for your new visit along with your order number and name.
- How do I use my member guest passes?
Guest passes are a one-time use ticket for general aquarium admission. If you plan to use a guest pass, RSVP for your guest online under the Member Admissions: Extras section. For entry into the aquarium, the RSVP and guest pass will need to be presented. Guest passes have the same expiration date as your membership.
- How do I know my membership expiration date?
Your membership expiration date can be located on your membership card. If you do not have your card, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 858-534-5771 for assistance.
- How do I become a member/renew my aquarium membership?
There are several ways to become a member of the aquarium!
- Join/renew online. If you are renewing, enter your member number and last name to link to you account.
- Call Guest Services at 858-534-5771.
- Visit Guest Services next time you stop by the aquarium.
- Mail in your renewal form with check payable to UC Regents.
- Who should be named on a membership?
All Birch Aquarium memberships must have an adult (ages 18 and up) named on the membership. Only the named adult(s) can use the membership benefits. We do not collect children's names or personal information for membership.
If you would like to regularly bring a different person with you on each visit, the host option — Unnamed Guest — would work best.
For Dual level and above, you can either name the second adult OR host an Unnamed Guest. This choice is made when purchasing your membership and cannot be changed for the duration of you membership.
- What is the Unnamed Guest option?
The Unnamed Guest option gives you the flexibility to host a different person with you on each visit for the duration of your membership. The Unnamed Guest takes the place of the second adult on Dual level and above.
For Dual level and above, you can either name the second adult OR host an Unnamed Guest. This choice is made when purchasing your membership and cannot be changed for the duration of your membership.
- How can I add a nanny or caregiver to my membership?
How can I add a nanny or caregiver to my membership?
The Caregiver membership is available as an add-on when you are purchasing a membership online.
If you are already an existing member and would like to add the Caregiver membership, you can contact Guest Services at 858-534-5771 for assistance.
- Can I use my membership right away?
After purchasing your membership online, by phone, or by mail, a PDF will be emailed to you containing your mobile membership card (with member number), your guest passes, and instructions for visiting the aquarium. If there is no email listed on your account, we will mail your membership card(s) and guest passes.
If you purchase your membership in-person at Guest Services, you will receive your membership card(s) and guest passes right away, all which can be used the same day.
NOTE: To allow us to be sustainable, membership cards and guest passes are not automatically mailed but can be mailed upon request.
- How many cards are included with my membership?
There will be one card issued for each named adult on your membership. If your membership includes a Caregiver, that person will also receive their own card.
- Why do I have to show a photo I.D. when I use my membership card to enter the aquarium?
Your membership has tremendous value. To prevent misuse of memberships and to protect the rights of our members should their cards be lost or stolen, we may ask to see your membership card and photo I.D. for entry, in addition to your member admission reservation(s).
- Can I lend or transfer my membership to someone else?
No, our memberships are nontransferable. Only the named adult(s) on the membership card can use the membership card(s) and benefits. This prevents the misuse of memberships and protects our members if their cards are lost or stolen.
- Do you have a children's membership?
We do not have a special membership for children. All Birch Aquarium memberships must have an adult (ages 18 and up) named on the membership. However, we do have membership levels (Family level and above) that include children (ages 3-17). We do not collect children's names or personal information for membership.
- Can my child use my membership for admission for a school field trip?
No, school group admission is not part of membership benefits.
- Is parking included with my membership?
The aquarium offers complimentary 3-hour parking for all guests, including members. As part of the UC San Diego campus community, there are parking restrictions in and around the aquarium. Please be mindful of signage and time limits as UC San Diego parking rules are enforced 24/7.
- Is my membership purchase tax deductible?
Depending on the cost of your membership level, any additional donations, and the fair market value of the goods and services received, there may be deductibility for income tax purposes. Contact us at email@example.com for your specific tax deductibility information. Please be aware we are unable to provide tax advice.
- Can I get a refund for my membership?
No, memberships are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
Please contact our Membership Department via email for any additional questions.