Self-Guided Visit at the Aquarium
Explore Birch Aquarium at your own pace without structured programming or instructors. Offered daily, year-round during regular aquarium hours. Pre-registration is required.
Pricing and Program Size
$14 per student
- Group Size
Minimum 10 students required for a self-guided visit.
Please review our complete program information and policies before booking your program.
- Chaperone Policy
Adults within the designated ratio are free of charge and will serve as the chaperones during your
visit. The number of free chaperones is dependent on the number of paid students present on the day of your visit.
Extra chaperone tickets are available for purchase only through your group order and must be paid in one
transaction. Groups must reserve all chaperone tickets in advance to guarantee admission. Extra chaperone tickets: $24.95/adult.
All aides and nurses are free during field trips. For any student requiring a nurse or aide, please tell our staff during check-in. Nurses and aides will not be included in the calculation of free chaperones.
Chaperones are required and expected to ensure students comply with Program Policies at all times. The teacher/group leader will be asked to sign a Behavior Contract upon arrival. Groups who do not comply with these expectations may be asked to leave.
- Chaperone Ratios
ALL TEACHERS, STAFF, AND PARENTS with your group are categorized as chaperones
• Ages 2-TK: one free chaperone per 2 students (1:2)
• Grades K-12: one free chaperone per 5 students (1:5)
Extra chaperone tickets outside of these ratios: $24.95/adult
- COVID-19 Policy
Face coverings are encouraged.
- How to register for a Self-Guided Visit
Reservations can be made online, by phone at 858-534-7336, or by email.
Reservations are required two (2) weeks in advance and are on a first-come, first-served basis. We recommend that you register as soon as possible to ensure a visit on the date of your choice.
- Payment Options
We accept credit card, check, or purchase orders.
- Entry Times
Self-Guided Visit entry times are as follows
- Mondays through Fridays: 10:00am, 10:30am, 1:30pm, 2:00pm.
Please note, for the 2021-23 school year, we are using timed ticketing with advanced registration required.
- Field Trip Resources NEW*
Looking to enhance your aquarium visit? These Activity Sheets provide additional learning opportunities for you and your students as you explore on your own.
Tips & Tricks:
- Print one Teacher Guide for yourself/each chaperone and one set of Activity Sheets per student. Each page focuses on one exhibit, so you can use as many or as few as you would like.
- Everything must be printed in advance and brought with you on the day of the trip. Teacher Guides and Activity Sheets are not available upon arrival.
- Bring your own clipboards and writing instruments. These items are not available at the aquarium. Exhibit windows cannot be used as writing surfaces.