After School Series FAQ
We are very excited to bring ocean science to your children at home. Each series is one day a week, for 6 weeks. You will be emailed a list of optional supplies and the Zoom link, which will be the access link for all 6 days. Below are some of our Frequently Asked Questions, but please don’t hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions.
Who are the program staff?
Our staff are full-time, year-round employees who receive multiple trainings throughout the year, including inclusion training. There will always be a minimum of two staff present, even in a virtual setting.
How are you keeping my child safe?
- We use a unique Zoom link for every program or series
- Only those registered will be allowed into the Zoom session
- All participants must enter through a waiting room so we can verify their identity
- Private chat capabilities will be disabled
- There will always be a minimum of two staff present at all times
Do I need to be present with my child?
Our virtual programs are designed to be hands-on for students and as hands-off for parents as possible. We do require that a responsible adult is within the household and available for any emergencies, but you do not need to be in the same room as your child (you are of course welcome to if you would like).
Can I have multiple kids on one screen?
Yes, as long as they are all registered for that program.
Can I register for only one or two days of the program?
No, our programs are designed to be a series, and each week will tie into the next.
What if my child misses a day? Can they make it up?
Unfortunately no, we cannot guarantee the availability of make-up sessions.
What if I don't have all of the materials?
Your child can follow along and participate with the instructor who will be doing all activities on screen.
How to set up Zoom:
We use a video conference platform called Zoom. It will be required to have a Zoom-compatible device with video, sound, and microphone capabilities. We recommend using a large tablet or a computer for the best virtual program experience. Anything smaller may make it difficult to see, hear, and interact with our staff.
Please make sure to test Zoom prior to your first program session:
- Go to zoom.us
- Scroll to the bottom and under “support” click “test Zoom”.
- It will ask you to join a meeting, click “join” and make sure to disable any pop-up blockers.
- Allow Zoom to open when a pop-up window opens.
- Join the meeting with video and audio. Your child must be visible on video during the program as an added safety measure.
Logging into your Virtual Program:
One week before your program starts, you will receive an email with a unique Zoom login for each program.
- Click on the blue Zoom link and follow the prompts to activate video and audio.
- The waiting room will be open for 5 minutes before the start of the program, and for 10 minutes after.
- Only registrants will be allowed in the Zoom session; for safety, do not share this link with anyone else.
How to set your child up for success:
- Please help them log into their Zoom program and ensure video and audio are working. (If we can hear them, we can also hear anything going on in the background).
- Please try to set them up in a quiet space with some table room for possible activities and an area for movement in front of the screen.
- We understand that siblings may want to pop in and say hi, but would love for your child to be able to focus on the program otherwise!