Summer Learning Adventures Camp
Summer 2017 Informal Educator Internship Description
If you are interested in a Summer Learning Adventure (SLA) internship with Birch Aquarium at Scripps, please carefully read all of the information below.
SLA Informal Educator Interns will:
- Gain valuable experience with professionals in science education
- Learn skills and techniques to communicate science to the public
- Work as part of a dynamic team to create educational and memorable summer camp experiences
- Build lasting professional and personal relationships
- Serve as an extension of the instructors to support learning
- Work with a mentor to identify goals for your summer camp experience
We are looking for someone who:
- Is graduating high school in spring 2017, a college student or a recent college graduate (six months to a year)
- Wants to work with campers age 4-15 in a fun learning environment
- Has an interest in marine science and/or education
- Has access to reliable transportation
- Has experience (but not required) as a strong swimmer, snorkeler, or surfer
- Demonstrating various science concepts and interpreting hands-on live animal displays
- Responsible for ensuring safety and camp success for all involved, including parents, campers, peers, and volunteers
- Facilitating games and crafts
- Assist campers during snorkel, surf and water experiences
- Preparing and cleaning up materials/supplies
Required Orientation Dates: June 19- 25, from 9 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.
- Get to know your fellow interns and staff
- Visit field camp locations for water-activity orientation
- Learn all you need to know about the Summer Camp program
- Discover what your role will be
SLA Dates and Work Schedule
Interns are required to be available June 15 through August 25, 2017, a total of ten weeks. Schedules vary each week and will be pre-assigned. You will be notified of your shifts in advance of the beginning of camp.
During Camp weeks, you can be scheduled for full-day or half-day camps.
When are SLA Internship Applications Due?
Applications Due: The application is now closed.
If you have questions about this internship opportunity please email Alexx Robles at email@example.com