Summer Learning Adventure Camps
Summer 2019 Informal Educator Internship Description
If you are interested in a Summer Learning Adventure (SLA) internship with Birch Aquarium at Scripps, please carefully read all of the information below. All internships are unpaid and housing cannot be provided.
SLA Informal Educator Interns will:
- Gain valuable experience with professionals in science education
- Learn skills and techniques to communicate science to the public
- Work as part of a dynamic team to create educational and memorable summer camp experiences
- Build lasting professional and personal relationships
- Serve as an extension of the instructors to support learning
- Work with a mentor to identify goals for your summer camp experience
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a college student or a recent college graduate (six months to a year)
- Wants to work with campers age 4-15 in a fun learning environment
- Has an interest in marine science and/or education
- Has access to reliable transportation
- Has experience as a strong swimmer, snorkeler, or surfer (not required)
- Demonstrating various science concepts and interpreting hands-on live animal displays
- Responsible for ensuring safety and camp success for all involved, including parents, campers, peers, and volunteers
- Facilitating games and crafts
- Assist campers during snorkel, surf and water experiences
- Preparing and cleaning up materials/supplies
Required Orientation Dates: June 17-21, from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Get to know your fellow interns and staff
- Visit field camp locations for water-activity orientation
- Learn all you need to know about the Summer Camp program
- Discover what your role will be
SLA Dates and Work Schedule
Interns are required to be available June 17 through August 23, 2019, a total of ten weeks. Schedules vary each week and will be pre-assigned. You will be notified of your shifts in advance of the beginning of camp.
During Camp weeks, you can be scheduled for full-day or half-day camps.
When are SLA Internship Applications Due?
Application Deadline: April 1, 2019
Applications open January 1, 2019
If you have questions about this internship opportunity please email Delanie Medina at firstname.lastname@example.org.