High School Student InterpreTEENS
Applications for the Fall 2020 program will OPEN June 1st, 2020 and CLOSE July 31st, 2020. Apply below.
InterpreTEENS will be positioned at specific exhibits throughout Birch Aquarium engaging guests in ocean conservation conversations. InterpreTEENS will bring our exhibits to life through interactions, biofacts, and live specimens focusing on the Science, the Protection and the Fun stories! Additionally InterpreTEENS will lead formal and informal conservation-based presentations to enhance the guest experience. Birch Aquarium is committed to staff, volunteer, and visitor safety. We have carefully developed a safety plan for reopening the aquarium and will be taking all measures into consideration for the InterpreTEENs program.
- Facilitate guest interactions at specified exhibits
- Lead formal and informal presentations
- Communicate the value and importance of scientific research
- Increase awareness of importance and positive effects of conservation efforts
- Instill a sense of respect and stewardship for the natural world
- Engage with and learn from an Education Interpreter
- Complete a group project and present to staff and peers
- Perform additional volunteer duties as needed
- 16 years of age at start of program
- Strong interest in building excellent communication skills
- Engage visitors of all ages
- Positive attitude
- Be punctual, reliable, professional and flexible
- Take initiative, recognize tasks and do them
- Be able to work as part of a team with a diverse group of interns, volunteers and staff
- Basic knowledge of biology with an interest in marine science
- Be able to work indoors and outdoors
Required Training Dates
- VIRTUAL after school training is September 8-11 for 2 hours a day.
- *Mandatory* ONSITE training is September 12 or 13 (Participants will be assigned to either day)
- Internship runs September 14 - November 22.
- Participants volunteer for 1- three hour shift a week ONSITE (Shifts are either Sat or Sun 9-12pm or 1-4pm)
- Participants will complete 2 hours of professional development a week VIRTUALLY on an after school weekday
- All participants need to be available Saturdays or Sundays from 9-12pm or 1-4pm.
- Application will open June 1st, 2020.
- All internship positions are unpaid and there are no housing options available
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com