Summer Learning Adventures Camp
Summer 2018 Informal Educator Internship Description
Please note that the application deadline for 2018 internships has passed. Please check back next spring.
If you are interested in a Summer Learning Adventure (SLA) internship with Birch Aquarium at Scripps, please carefully read all of the information below.
SLA Informal Educator Interns will:
- Gain valuable experience with professionals in science education
- Learn skills and techniques to communicate science to the public
- Work as part of a dynamic team to create educational and memorable summer camp experiences
- Build lasting professional and personal relationships
- Serve as an extension of the instructors to support learning
- Work with a mentor to identify goals for your summer camp experience
We are looking for someone who:
- Is graduating high school in spring 2018, a college student or a recent college graduate (six months to a year)
- Wants to work with campers age 4-15 in a fun learning environment
- Has an interest in marine science and/or education
- Has access to reliable transportation
- Has experience as a strong swimmer, snorkeler, or surfer (not required)
- Demonstrating various science concepts and interpreting hands-on live animal displays
- Responsible for ensuring safety and camp success for all involved, including parents, campers, peers, and volunteers
- Facilitating games and crafts
- Assist campers during snorkel, surf and water experiences
- Preparing and cleaning up materials/supplies
Required Orientation Dates: June 18-22, from 9 a.m.- 4 p.m.
- Get to know your fellow interns and staff
- Visit field camp locations for water-activity orientation
- Learn all you need to know about the Summer Camp program
- Discover what your role will be
SLA Dates and Work Schedule
Interns are required to be available June 18 through August 24, 2018, a total of ten weeks. Schedules vary each week and will be pre-assigned. You will be notified of your shifts in advance of the beginning of camp.
During Camp weeks, you can be scheduled for full-day or half-day camps.
When are SLA Internship Applications Due?
The application deadline has passed.
If you have questions about this internship opportunity please email firstname.lastname@example.org