Birch Aquarium at Scripps considers requests for commercial filming, including movies, television shows, music videos, commercials, and advertisements. Please review these Filming Guidelines. Our contact information is below.
- More than 60 marine tanks, including a 70,000-gallon kelp forest
- Outdoor tide-pool plaza with coastal and ocean views
- Interactive ocean and earth sciences museum
- Gift shop with educational materials and gifts
- Interior galleria with glass windows and ocean views
- Exterior balcony overlooking the tide-pool plaza and the coast
- Two-lane road descending to the aquarium that provides breathtaking views of natural landscapes and the ocean (Additional approvals are required for road use.)
Fees depend upon a number of factors, including the nature of the project, the intended market, the promotional value to the aquarium, and the potential disruption to the aquarium and its staff.
Standard fee: $5,000 daily or any part thereof
Additional fees for staff time, parking, and/or damage may apply
- Content must not conflict with the mission of Birch Aquarium at Scripps: to provide ocean science education, to interpret Scripps Institution of Oceanography research, and to promote ocean conservation.
- Filming may not be possible at Birch Aquarium at Scripps during open hours (9-5 daily) if the project could inhibit or impede with our visitors' experience.
- All filming must meet with the requirements of the animal husbandry staff.
- As a general rule, Birch Aquarium does not allow non-diving staff inside the tanks. Exceptions can be made with approval from the animal husbandry staff and dive safety officer.
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps prohibits amplified sound.
- The aquarium prohibits the use of lights outdoors and prohibits excessive interior and exterior noise after 10 p.m.
- The aquarium does not allow anything to be attached to interior walls, tanks, or exhibits
- Birch Aquarium at Scripps reserves the right to cancel filming at any time.
Filming with Drones & Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
The use of all unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) on UC San Diego owned property, including Birch Aquarium and Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and/or for official UC San Diego business must be reviewed and approved by the Department of Environment Health &Safety (EH&S) prior to flight. All drone/UAS use must also be approved by Birch Aquarium's Marketing Department. Learn more.
- At least one-week notice to the Birch Aquarium Marketing Department is required for any on-site filming project request.
- Production company representative must sign Scripps Oceanography liability release form before filming can begin.
- Production company must provide copy of insurance coverage form before filming can begin.
- Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Not all requests are granted.
- Check for full payment payable to U.C. Regents must be provided to the Birch Aquarium Marketing Department prior to filming.
Birch Aquarium at Scripps: Daily 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day
Director of Marketing, Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Scripps Communications Office