The health and safety of our guests, as well as our staff and volunteers is our highest priority.
As of June 15, 2021, Birch Aquarium is operating indoors and out at a limited capacity, in accordance with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines for youth settings.
- Face coverings are required for all guests ages 2 and up regardless of vaccination status, and must cover both nose and mouth at all times (indoors and outdoors).
- Birch Aquarium staff are completing daily symptom screenings, as well as frequent COVID-19 testing.
- Guest capacity is limited to approximately 50 percent
- We have increased the number of hand washing and sanitizing stations throughout the aquarium, and increased the cleaning and sanitizing of all frequently-touched surfaces
- The HVAC system has been upgraded throughout the interior sections of the aquarium to increase air flow and circulation
- Advanced Reservations Required: Tickets must be reserved for a specific date and entry time and in advance — even for members — on our website here
- We ask that you do not enter the aquarium if you or anyone in your family have experienced any of the following in the last 14 days:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Temperature checks may be required
- Guests experiencing any of the above symptoms may not visit Birch Aquarium.
- Facial Coverings: In compliance with UC San Diego policy as well as state requirements, guests — ages two and older — will be required to wear face coverings while at the aquarium (both indoors and outdoors). Face coverings must cover both the nose and mouth at all times.
- Social Distancing: We ask that groups remain a minimum of six feet apart from each other (or roughly the length of a Leopard Shark). Floor graphics have been added to help you remember.
NOTE: Guests who do not comply with our policies will be asked to leave.
Waiver of Claims, Limitation of Liability
Participant waives the right to any claim against UC related to or arising from the acquisition of or exposure to any infectious disease. Neither UC, nor any of its campuses or medical centers, nor any of its employees or agents shall be liable for any claims of loss, expense, or damage to participant relating to the acquisition of or exposure to any infectious disease.
UC MAKES NO WARRANTY WITH RESPECT TO THE SAFETY OF THE PREMISES WITH REGARD TO ANY INFECTIOUS DISEASE.