Summer Learning Adventures Camp
Summer 2016 Informal Educator Internship Description
Applications Due: April 3, 2016 by midnight PST
Before applying, please be sure you are available for the mandatory orientation and training dates: June 20-24, 2016. If you are selected for the internship, you must attend orientation and training.
Interns are required to be available June 27 through August 26, 2016.
All volunteer and internship programs are unpaid. Housing and transportation are not provide.
If you are interested in a summer internship with Birch Aquarium at Scripps, please read all of the information below:
SLA Informal Educator Interns will:
We are looking for someone who:
- Gain valuable experience with professionals in science education
- Learn skills and techniques to communicate science to the public
- Work as part of a dynamic team to create
educational and memorable summer camp experiences
- Build lasting professional and personal
- Serve as an extension of the instructors to support learning
- Work with a mentor to identify goals for your summer camp experience
- Is a high school or college student (must be at least 16)
- Wants to work with campers age 4-15 in a fun learning environment
- Has an interest in marine science and/or education
- Has access to reliable transportation
- Has experience as a strong swimmer, snorkeler, or surfer (preferred, but not required)
Required Orientation Dates: June 20-24, 2016, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Demonstrating science concepts and interpreting hands-on live animal displays
- Facilitating games and crafts
- Assisting campers during snorkel, surf, and water experiences
- Preparing and cleaning up materials/supplies
- Helping to ensure safety and camp success for all involved, including campers, peers, and volunteers
Dates and Work Schedule
- Get to know your fellow interns and staff
- Visit offsite camp locations for water-activity orientation
- Learn all you need to know about the Summer Camp program
- Discover what your role will be
- Be partnered with a mentor
Interns are required to be available June 27 through August 26, 2016, a total of ten weeks. Schedules vary each week and will be pre-assigned.
You will be notified of your shifts one
month prior to the beginning of camp. During camp weeks, you may be scheduled for full-day or half-day camps.
UCSD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.
If you have any questions, please call 858-534-8401 or email email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your application.