Celebrate World Oceans Day at Birch Aquarium at Scripps.
World Oceans Day Celebration
June 7: 11a.m-3p.m.
It’s time to celebrate our big blue ocean!
From plankton to whales, explore ocean biodiversity and learn more about how you can make a difference for our changing oceans. Plastic pollution, ocean acidification, and clean energy will be some of the topics covered during World Oceans Day activities.
Birch Aquarium World Ocean Day Activities
- Turtle Talk- Learn about what makes sea turtles special and the challenges they face as they grow up in the ocean.
- Plankton Think Tank- Design, build, and test their own plankton and learn about seasonal changes in the ocean that effect these microorganism.
- Recycle Party- Learn about the various aspects of recycling, from what products are currently recyclable to why it is important to the health of the ocean. They will have the opportunity to make their own craft from recycled items.
- Selfie for the Sea- Make a commitment to help the ocean and can take their "selfie for the sea” on the tide pool plaza to share with friends and family on the tide pool plaza.
- Special World Oceans Day Octonauts Screening- Learn about how pollution affects animals living in the ocean and what we can do to help. The episode will play every 30 minutes, from 11-3.
- Squidtoons- Artists and Scripps Researchers who create the Squidtoons Comic will talk about communicating science in creative ways.
- Plastic Pollution Station- Scripps Researchers will be on site talking about marine plastic and its impact on the evironment.
All activities are included with paid aquarium