Dana Hills High School celebrates its First Place win at the 2013 Grunion Bowl.
National Ocean Sciences Bowl
La Jolla Regional CompetitionThe 17th annual Grunion Bowl will be hosted on the Scripps Institution of Oceanography campus on March 8, 2014 from 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
What is NOSB?
NOSB, a program of the Consortium for Ocean Leadership and its partners, is a high school academic competition on topics related to the study of the oceans through SIO tours, field trips, and other ocean-related activities. This program is intended to increase knowledge of the oceans by high school students, their teachers and their parents. National Ocean Sciences Bowl influences new stewards of our oceans and fosters the next generation of marine scientists, technicians, educators and industry leaders. This year’s theme is “Ocean Acidification". Check www.nosb.org or the Consortium for Ocean Leadership www.oceanleadership.org for more information.
Birch Aquarium at Scripps and Scripps Institution of Oceanography support NOSB by offering educational field trips (such as meeting Scripps scientists and touring their labs) and scrimmage and study sessions to help teams prepare for the big day. We are proud of our growing NOSB program and believe that NOSB is much more than just a competition, it is an experience!
- Canyon Crest Academy – San Diego, CA
- Carlsbad High School – Carlsbad, CA
- Christian High School – El Cajon, CA
- Dana Hills High School – Dana Hills, CA
- Escondido Charter High School – Escondido, CA
- La Jolla High School – La Jolla, CA
- Scripps Ranch High School – San Diego, CA
- University City High School – San Diego, CA
2014 Donors (alphabetically):
- Aquarium of the Pacific
- Belmont Park
- CLIFBAR & Company
- Everyday California
- Flagship Cruises & Events
- Living Coast Discovery Center
- Halter Ranch Vineyard
- Honest Kids Juice
- Jersey Mike's
- National Marine Educators Association/Southwest Marine Educators Association
- Ocean Institute
- Rubio's UCSD/La Jolla
- San Diego Natural History Museum
- Sea World San Diego
Students identify plankton during an NOSB Open House event.
The Grunion Bowl
Last year's Grunion Bowl was a fun-filled, fast-paced day with Dana Hills High School
coming out on top to win first place in the varsity league.
Congratulations to the following schools for their achievements:
- First Place: Dana Hills High School
- Second Place: Scripps Ranch High School
- Third Place: Carlsbad High School
- First Place in Junior Varsity League: Dana Hills High School, team B
- Sportsmanship Award: Helix Charter High School
- Team Spirit Award: Escondido Charter High School