Underwater Parks Day at Birch Aquarium, Jan. 15, 2011. Photo by Dan Scanderbeg
Underwater Parks Day Photo Contest
Birch Aquarium at Scripps is hosting a photography competition to highlight the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park in celebration of Underwater Parks Day on Jan. 21, 2012. Birch Aquarium is one of five Southern California aquariums hosting Underwater Parks Day events. Winning photographs will be displayed onsite and on the aquarium's website.
Underwater Parks or Marine Protected Areas help to preserve important underwater habitats, yet for many San Diegans these treasures are hidden from view. Help us share in the beauty of these parks by submitting your photographs of the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park, and other Marine Protected Areas with two new categories this year!
1) Local: Underwater photograph of the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park.
2) Above the Reserve: Surface photograph of the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park, with special emphasis on how San Diegans use the park (ex. tidepooling, snorkeling, kayaking within reserve boundaries)
3) Marine Protected Area: Underwater photographs of any marine protected area in the world.
Submission are now closed. Winners will be announced Saturday, January 21st at the aquarium and on the aquarium's website.
Please join us Saturday, Jan. 21 for Underwater Parks Day at Birch Aquarium at Scripps. Contest winners will be announced at 2 p.m.
Thank you to Our Sponsors!
Please e-mail your submission to Catie Fyfe at email@example.com
Include the following:
Location of Photography
Submission category (Local, Above the Reserve, or Marine Protected Area)
Title of Photograph
*Photographs must be 12 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide in its smallest dimension.
- Contest runs from Nov.28, 2011-Jan. 6, 2012
- Three winners will be selected by a panel of aquarium staff based on representation of the category, aesthetic value, and technical skill.
- Each photographer may enter up to five photographs.
- Entries may be color or black and white.
- Photographs must be 12 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels wide in its smallest dimension.
- Photos must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant and have been taken inside either the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park or a marine protected area. For more information, visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego-La_Jolla_Underwater_Park
- We are adopting the Conservation Rules established by EPIC®. Marine life should never be stressed or endangered for the sake of a photo. Conservation rules will apply to all entries, and decisions will be final. Entries suspected of exhibiting the following behavior will be disqualified:
- Divers visibly damaging the environment (e.g. gear dragging or kicking up sand)
- Animals with signs of stress (e.g. puffed puffers, inking octopus)
- Animals moved to an unnatural environment or risky location
- Animals being fed (especially with artificial food from divers)
- Marine life being touched (e.g. coral polyps, seahorse tails)
- Divers exhibiting poor buoyancy control
- By submitting to this contest, you agree that your photos can be used by Birch Aquarium at Scripps with appropriate credit and that the photographer retains all copyrights. Entry constitutes permission by Birch Aquarium at Scripps, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and UC San Diego to publish and otherwise use the photo for all public relations and marketing purposes. The photographs will not be used for any commercial purposes.
- Winning photos will be displayed at Birch Aquarium at Scripps during Underwater Parks Day on Jan. 21, 2012, as well as on the aquarium website.
- Aquarium staff and volunteers are excluded from this contest.