Enjoy special events all year long at Birch Aquarium.
Birch Aquarium hosts dynamic programs and special events throughout
the year. From the Green Flash Concert Series for adults to Spring
EGGstravaganza for families with young children, a variety of
educational and entertaining events are sure to please ocean
enthusiasts of all ages.
IMMERSION at Birch Aquarium
April 19: 6–8 p.m.
Join us for a special evening under the sea featuring UC San Diego music graduate students. At this third annual event, stroll through the aquarium and enjoy exciting live music and immersive electronic soundscapes written especially for the evening and inspired by the ocean and marine life.
Performances will include:
Read about last year's event at KPBS.
- Indonesian Gamelan Music at twilight, led by Iputu Hiranmayena
- String quartet, percussion, horn and clarinet spinning out beautiful harmonies in Gavin Bryars' masterpiece, The Sinking of the Titanic
- Nicolee Kuester, Jon Forshee, and Tommy Babin whispering seahorse poetry into tin telephones
- Erickson's haunting Pacific Sirens for chamber ensemble and ocean sounds, played by UC San Diego chamber musicians
- Screenings of Lyndsay Bloom's silent films; Mermaid and Sea Soar
- Cello and bass Clarinet duo Feeding Time playing free jazz with the sharks at ElasmoBeach
- Jellyfish generating music with their movements in Tina Tallon's algorithmic video-tracking installation
Members: $8, Public: $10
Other Special Events: